Encinitas Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics
‘Tis the Season for Keeping Your Kids’ Teeth Healthy
Here are a few tips for enjoying the season and keeping your children’s oral health from falling by the wayside during this busy time of year.
Eat Sweets Smartly
It’s nearly impossible to keep kids (and adults!) away from sweet treats. However, you can minimize the effects of sugar on your children’s teeth.
• Include treats as a part of the main meal. Doing this will keep the acids produced by mouth bacteria from lingering on your children’s teeth throughout the day.
• If your kids can’t brush their teeth after eating sweets, have them rinse their mouth out with water to wash away food particles and bacteria.
• Cheese is a healthy after-meal snack that tastes great and helps neutralize acids that attack and soften tooth enamel.
• Chewing sugar-free gum is another way to neutralize those pesky acids.
Keep a Routine
To make sure healthy habits are maintained even during the holiday season, follow these tips:
• Brush and floss at least twice a day. Make sure your kids brush before they go to bed, and don’t let them sneak a cookie after brushing!
• Make a kid-friendly dental travel kit that includes a toothbrush, mini-toothpaste, travel-size mouth wash, and floss.
Enjoying the holiday season doesn’t have to mean abandoning all the good oral health habits you’ve instilled in your children throughout the year. Following these simple tips will give your family more than one reason to smile. Happy Holidays!
135 Saxony Road, #200 | Encinitas, CA 92024