Gina’s Simple Fall Kale & Quinoa Salad
- 1 10 ounce bag chopped green curly kale
- 1 10 ounce bag shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup white quinoa
- ¾ cup raw sliced almonds
- 1 package pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup cold, filtered water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat two baking sheets with olive oil/spray. Place sliced almonds on one and shaved Brussels sprouts on the other. Toast almonds for 10 minutes and Brussels for about 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool.
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups water. Let boil and then bring down to a simmer on low-med heat. Stir frequently and cook until all water is absorbed for approximately 15 minutes. Let cool.
- While almonds, Brussels sprouts, and quinoa cook, place kale in large bowl and drizzle small amount of olive oil and squeeze ¼ of the lemon onto leaves. Massage kale with both hands and coat all leaves. Set aside to allow kale to soften.
- In large salad bowl, combine kale, pomegranate seeds, feta, cooled quinoa, almonds, and Brussels sprouts. Mix together.
- In a blender, combine rest of lemon, olive oil, tahini, water, and salt/pepper and blend together creating a smooth liquid. Dress salad all at once or leave on the side for easy application.
MAKES: 8 servings • TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
About the Chef
Chef: Gina Martini
Hobbies & Interests: You can usually find me on beach walks, making smoothies, writing, dancing to country music, coaching, at yoga and pilates, or spending time with my boyfriend and friends
Favorite Local Activity: Popping into Seaside Market and heading to the beach for a picnic
About the Recipe: This simple salad is meant to be a fall dinner and lunch staple. All six of the main superfood ingredients can be found at your local Trader Joe’s. It’s jam-packed with nutrients, leaving you feeling satiated and energized. Perfect for the whole family and for taking as leftovers.
About the Chef: I’m the founder of the lifestyle platform Full On Happiness. As a transformational nutrition coach, I combine nutrition guidance with life coaching skills to help my clients live their happiest lives. My mission is to help as many women as possible have a healthy relationship with food and their bodies. You can find me at www.fullonhappiness.com, on Instagram @FullOnHappiness, or Facebook.