Linda’s Dutch Butter Cake
- 1 ⅓ cups butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- Milk or cream for brushing top
- Sliced almonds to decorate top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and almond flavor and beat well.
- Add baking powder and flour and mix well.
- Spread evenly between two 9-inch cake pans or pie plates.
- Brush tops with a little cream and top with sliced almonds if desired.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, until light brown. Do not over-bake or cake will be dry.
- Let cool on rack before slicing and serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Makes: Serves 20
Total Time: 10 minutes prepping; 30 minutes baking
About the Chef
Chef: Linda Van Kessler
Family: Husband Charles Van Kessler; son Rali Schwartz; grandchildren Cici and Jason; Passion the puppy
Hobbies: Traveling, spending time with grandchildren
Favorite Local Activities: Eating in local restaurants
About the Recipe: Both my husband and I are Dutch. He was actually born in Holland, while I was raised in a Dutch community in New Jersey. So making this recipe takes us back to our roots. It is our family favorite.About the Chef: I, along with my husband, am the founder of Passion 4 K.I.D.S., a local charity for children in the United States who are in desperate situations. I am also the CEO of Passion 4 Life liquid vitamins and minerals which my husband created to enhance his own health after being raised in a state-run Amsterdam orphanage during World War II. I love spending every moment possible with my grandchildren.